Saturday, November 17, 2007

NMAC 2

Wow. Been a busy week for NMACs. The one at Chicago Center, Oakland Center, and then the one I had the other day.

A result of fatigue, a seemingly annoying pilot, but the TCAS factor made a difference.

Long story short, I issued the wrong restriction to an airplane which resulted in an early descent near a smaller aircraft. The little guy had the other plane in sight, but my restriction was a mistake, and the airliner refused my clearance. After reviewing the situation, I realized that all of my actions were taken based on what I THOUGHT I issued, which was not the case. This is actually VERY common in many errors.

With the correct restriction, there would not have been a terse exchange where I TOTALLY misunderstood the airline pilot's message. To those pilots, I apologize, and thank them for their professionalism. As for myself, I have to wonder when the system is going to come apart, and bodies start falling out of the sky.

Personally, I am exhausted.

No comments: