Saturday, December 29, 2007

Volunteers

In ATC, we have an option to volunteer for overtime work. Well, the money is nice but I am about family, so I have opted out of overtime. Unfortunately, the FAA turns a blind eye to those of us who do not want overtime, and schedules us for it anyway.

So taking a vacation for any length of time is pretty impossible when you are a rookie and low on the seniority totem pole. This past year, there was NO summer vacation time available by the time it was my turn. So what is a family man to do?

"Now, Controller X," you may ask, "why don't you just call in sick?" Simply put, if you call in on an overtime shift, they begin disciplinary procedures against you. I guess that one way to address the shortage of controllers is to suspend and fire anyone who is unrested and feels that working might be unsafe to the airplanes flying. It is kind of like a bank charging you money when you bounce a check.

So let me tell you, that I am NOT volunteering for overtime, and the fatigue from working months and months of overtime caused several near-misses on my watch because I am tired. I even talked to a psychologist who affirmed that I am probably fatigued and stressed from so much work.

So when Laura Brown or Ian McGregor (or any other FAA spokesmodel) says that we are all "volunteering" to work overtime, they are spouting fecal matter.

No comments: